Hot Door CORE Forum

Full Version: building multiple versions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When building plugins for multiple versions, I've been building every version possible for compatibility, as I have for many years. After uploading my first offering to Adobe Exchange, the product description they asked for suggested that one item could support many generations of CC. As a test, I built a small project for AI 17 and ran it in AI 21. It worked fine! Have the rules changed? Is compatibility now based on which CC release introduced the features we incorporate in the plugin? Or is it best practice to continue creating plugins for every CC revision available? Undecided
The cross-section of SDK features your test plugin utilized simply might not have intersected with the features that are incompatible across Illustrator versions.

While compatibility can sometimes be maintained between Ai versions, we have found it to be too unreliable and subject to too much change (from Adobe). For example, Ai 15->16 broke all kinds of things, 18->19 had a few broken things, and we've heard from little birdies that 21->22 will break some things too.

In short, the best way to maximize reliability is to break out each major version of Illustrator as a separate compilation target.