Hot Door CORE Forum
CS6 and CC build error 1 - Printable Version

+- Hot Door CORE Forum (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum)
+-- Forum: All forums (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Getting started (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: CS6 and CC build error 1 (/showthread.php?tid=16)

CS6 and CC build error 1 - VincentDoan - 03-14-2014

I was able to build CC and CS6 with Xcode 4, but now, failed with one error: Command /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 failed with exit code 1. CS4 & CS5 build OK.

What could have cause this error?

Actually, just CS5 was successfully built. CS4 also failed with /Users/vincentdoan/Documents/AiDevelop/hdi_core/Projects/ArtBlue/Sources/bluePlugin.cpp:953: Error writing to -: Broken pipe

Borken pipe? what pipe? XCode sometime is so vague with words :-}

RE: CS6 and CC build error 1 - Rick Johnson - 10-08-2014

(03-14-2014, 08:54 PM)VincentDoan Wrote:
Error writing to -: Broken pipe

I also tried compiling the sample tool project for CS4 and ran into the "broken pipe" error. I understand pipes in command lines, but in a project like this, it's way over my head and buried deeply in places I shouldn't be mucking around in, and quite puzzling to find in sample code I hoped would "just work." Compiling for CS6, however, worked fine. It was exactly the same with the panel sample project: CS6 64-bit release built fine, CS4 32-bit release failed.

Something else I find confusing is that Xcode really, really wants me to convert the project to use LLVM rather than GCC, but when I do the project becomes so error-ridden it's unbuildable and I have to re-extract it from the download.

I'm running an iMac with OS X 10.8.5, Xcode 5.1, and had installed the XodeLegacy script. Is my OS or version of Xcode just too new, or perhaps too old, for the CORE library 055.7z? I hope to upgrade the OS to Yosemite, and hope that will result in better compatibility.

Remember the days when we could write an Illustrator plugin in vanilla C with all of the code in one source doc (I'm thinking back to Illustrator 5.0)?

Thanks,
Rick

RE: CS6 and CC build error 1 - garrett - 10-10-2014

I have run into this issue before, but a long time ago with some other project. I haven't seen it before with CORE.

We have 0.5.6 just about ready to release soon, so I will take extra care to check our sample projects for all versions on both platforms.

When Xcode prompts to upgrade the project to use LLVM, you should not perform the upgrade. Simply ignore the warning or dismiss the upgrade dialog after unchecking all of its proposed changes. Adobe requires plugins for each version of Illustrator to be built with very specific compiler versions. CORE is compiled with these versions, and our samples are configured to use them as well.

Internally we compile everything on both OS X 10.8 and 10.9 with Xcode 5.1.x, using the proper compiler for each version of Illustrator as required by Adobe. It's unfortunate that Apple throws out support for old compilers so quickly, but luckily we have the Xcode Legacy script to bring the old compilers back from the dead. I have not compiled on Xcode 4.x in a very long time (though this is what Adobe themselves use officially), and I suspect that we will soon change our official requirements to state that Xcode 5.x is required.

Be very careful with adopting Apple's latest OS and/or version of Xcode when developing Illustrator plugins. For example, when OS X 10.10 and/or Xcode 6 go final, it is very likely that some things will become broken and we'll have to adapt CORE and/or the Xcode Legacy script accordingly (if possible).

RE: CS6 and CC build error 1 - Rick Johnson - 10-10-2014

Thanks for the detailed reply, Garrett. I hope I didn't come across wrong regarding the sample not compiling. I blame myself or my setup, not Hot Door. If I can't get the samples to compile, I figure it's futile to attempt to begin any new projects of my own. As much as I'd like to upgrade to Yosemite (I've waited a long time for AirDrop between my Mac and iPhone/camera), I'll wait for Hot Door's OK first. Thanks! -- Rick

RE: CS6 and CC build error 1 - garrett - 10-10-2014

No, nothing wrong at all Rick. It's just a complicated setup on Mac (though made much easier with the XcodeLegacy script), and takes a good deal of testing and configuration on our end to get it just right. After that we can only just hope that it continues to work on the myriad of possible setups other people have on their machines.

RE: CS6 and CC build error 1 - garrett - 10-17-2014

CORE 0.5.6 was released today. I thoroughly tested all samples for all platforms before release, and all of them compiled fine. My machine is setup no differently than what our "Getting Started" page describes; running OS X 10.9 and Xcode 5.1.1, configured with the XcodeLegacy script. I have another machine that runs OS X 10.8 and Xcode 5.1.1, which also works fine.

Can either of you provide more information about the error you receive in Xcode? If you look at the build output, you can expand the error to get the commands that led to it.

RE: CS6 and CC build error 1 - Rick Johnson - 10-18-2014

Hi Garrett, thanks for the quick update. I still get the "broken pipe" error when compiling for CS3 and CS4. CS5 and CS6 work fine. The error occurs for toolSetup.cpp, toolPlugin.cpp, and toolFormatting.cpp. As for the CS5 and CS6 builds, I get a warning that "plugin_" in toolSetup.cpp is unused, and don't know if this is normal and unavoidable. I'm on OS X 10.8 and Xcode 5.1 with legacyScript. The expanded error reads like this for AI13 Release:

as: assembler (/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../libexec/as/ppc/as or /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../local/libexec/as/ppc/as) for architecture ppc not installed
Installed assemblers are:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../libexec/as/x86_64/as for architecture x86_64
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../libexec/as/i386/as for architecture i386
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../libexec/as/arm/as for architecture arm
/Users/rick/Development stuff/CORE/hdi_core/Samples/Tool/Sources/toolFormatting.cpp:54: fatal error: error writing to -: Broken pipe
compilation terminated.

RE: CS6 and CC build error 1 - garrett - 10-19-2014

It sounds like you're somehow missing the PPC assembler that the XcodeLegacy script is supposed to install. CS3 and CS4 supported PPC as well as x86, so the assembler must be present to use those versions of the library. Two options:

1) Uninstall the Xcode legacy files via the "uninstall" argument of the XcodeLegacy.sh script, and then reinstall using the normal installation instructions
2) Simply don't compile for CS3 and CS4. Not a true "fix", but our usage data for our products shows that only a couple percent of customers still use these versions.