Hot Door CORE Forum
Windows debugging issues - Printable Version

+- Hot Door CORE Forum (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum)
+-- Forum: All forums (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General discussion (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Windows debugging issues (/showthread.php?tid=94)

Windows debugging issues - Rick Johnson - 08-23-2016

The last time I compiled Windows plugins with CORE it worked fine. Since then, CORE 0.6.2 is here and Windows 10 did a few more updates. In compiling the Panel sample for AI16 debug, for every included hdi::core file I get errors like:

Code:
hdi_core-win-ai16-rls-64.lib(hdipluginArt.cpp.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc100.pdb' was not found with 'hdi_core-win-ai16-rls-64.lib(hdipluginArt.cpp.obj)' or at 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\vc100.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info

When I saw "ai16-rls-64" I double-checked that I was in the x64 debug setting, and that debugging was enabled in the project properties.

Then a dialog pops up informing me that Debugging information for "Illustrator.exe" cannot be found or does not match. Cannot find or open the PDB file. Do you want to continue debugging?" If I continue, it runs, but won't stop at breakpoints.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Visual Studio Pro 2010 and its SP1 twice but it continues to happen on both Windows 10 and 7. Has anyone else seen (or solved) this? My internet searches have been unsuccessful.

BTW, I'm using Parallels so I have only one code base, so VS puts build files in its Temp directory. Maybe that's a significant caveat. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions. -- rj

RE: Windows debugging issues - Rick Johnson - 08-27-2016

I've continued to experiment and research the PDB problem and found one that seemed to work for a lot of people was to make sure that:

Project Configuration Properties -> C/C++ -> Output Files -> Program Database File
Project Configuration Properties -> Linker -> Debugging -> Generate Program Database File

... both have the same setting, recommending $(TargetDir)$(TargetName).pdb for both. I tried changing it to make a PDB file named "vc100.pdb" as it was looking for, confirmed that file existed, but Visual Studio couldn't find it.

A coworker in IS downloaded CORE 0.6.2 and tried compiling several sample project debug configurations and got the same errors. In the meantime, I simply cannot debug in Windows, but really need to.

RE: Windows debugging issues - garrett - 08-30-2016

(08-23-2016, 05:50 PM)Rick Johnson Wrote: The last time I compiled Windows plugins with CORE it worked fine. Since then, CORE 0.6.2 is here and Windows 10 did a few more updates. In compiling the Panel sample for AI16 debug, for every included hdi::core file I get errors like:

Code:
hdi_core-win-ai16-rls-64.lib(hdipluginArt.cpp.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc100.pdb' was not found with 'hdi_core-win-ai16-rls-64.lib(hdipluginArt.cpp.obj)' or at 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\vc100.pdb'; linking object as if no debug info

This is just a warning, which is common in compiling against others' static libraries. This is because the debugging information is not distributed with our static libs, so Visual Studio cannot include it in your plugin's debugging info.

(08-23-2016, 05:50 PM)Rick Johnson Wrote: Then a dialog pops up informing me that Debugging information for "Illustrator.exe" cannot be found or does not match. Cannot find or open the PDB file. Do you want to continue debugging?" If I continue, it runs, but won't stop at breakpoints.

That is a normal error dialog, because Adobe obviously doesn't distribute debugging information for the exe itself. Visual Studio is just letting you know that the program cannot be debugged. Your plugins, however, should still be debuggable, so I cannot comment on why your breakpoints aren't functional.

As a test, I just removed all temporary build information from one of my own virtual machines, and compiled the CORE ToolSample plugin. It compiled fine, gave the expected vc100.pdb warnings, loaded in Illustrator fine, and is debuggable. Sorry I can't offer a quick fix.

RE: Windows debugging issues - Rick Johnson - 09-01-2016

Thanks, Garrett. I don't know what went haywire, but I made a new project with the same source and headers, and it debugs just fine. It does help a lot (and I mean a LOT) to understand what the benign errors are so I can skip them and focus on the really meaningful ones. Thank you very, very much!