Hot Door CORE Forum
Panel resizing - Printable Version

+- Hot Door CORE Forum (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum)
+-- Forum: All forums (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General discussion (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Panel resizing (/showthread.php?tid=96)

Panel resizing - Rick Johnson - 08-25-2016

I noticed that the Adobe Character and Paragraph palettes have a "<>" icon in the tab just before the panel name. Is this possible with CORE? Studying the custom widgets, I couldn't see how one could be added in the panel's tab area.

In the Adobe SDK's Empty Panel sample project there's a callback for when the panel is resized. It would be really nice to have a similar callback when the panel tab is double-clicked so the panel could be resized. I'd like to offer more than two sizes, however, putting the least common options in the bottom section. I couldn't find anything for a callback for a panel tab double-click. Is something like this in there somewhere, or feasible for a future update? Given how panels have multiplied and take up more and more of our screen real estate, I try to keep mine as compact as possible and reduce its size to suit user needs, especially as many palettes seem to keep getting unnecessarily larger (perhaps to address high-res and Retina screens?). It would be user-focused to offer divider lines with disclosure triangles so they could show or hide panel portions to suit their needs, but I suppose that kind of widget is a bit out of the mainstream to be practical.

Thanks -- Rick

RE: Panel resizing - garrett - 08-30-2016

(08-25-2016, 11:07 PM)Rick Johnson Wrote: I noticed that the Adobe Character and Paragraph palettes have a "<>" icon in the tab just before the panel name. Is this possible with CORE? Studying the custom widgets, I couldn't see how one could be added in the panel's tab area.

As far as I can tell, this functionality is not exposed in the AIPanelSuite in the SDK. While more convenient, this is basically just a shortcut for the "Show options" flyout menu item in Adobe's panels anyway.

RE: Panel resizing - Rick Johnson - 08-31-2016

Thanks, Garrett. The SDK's EmptyPanel sample uses AIPanelStateChangedNotifyProc from AIPanel.h. As a full-time Illustrator user, double-clicking the panel's name tab is the first option I check if a panel displays a lot of information I don't use. The flyout menu is the next place I'd check. Quite often, a panel will contain more than one section, and we may have the option to hide the bottom one or two sections. Different people doing different jobs may need to quickly access different palette areas. It would be nice to give the user more choices, including hiding the top section (like hiding the Find Field at the top of the Patterns palette). Again, as a full-time illustrator user I know the frustration of palette clutter wasting valuable work space, so I'd like to offer my users the best possible experience. The flyout menu, fortunately, is a good alternative, and a very desirable one if there are two or more options. ;-)