About   |   Getting Started   |   Downloads   |   Documentation   |   Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
hdicoreFiles ungzip
03-27-2017, 07:40 PM
hdicoreFiles ungzip
Can someone tell me the correct format to archive a file so that hdi::core::files::unzip can expand them? Is this the same as the default setting for the Mac OS X Archive Utility, the one with the convenient right-click contextual menu? Or the same as Windows 10 send to > zip archive? I'd like to retrieve and install plugin version updates in a manner that's easier for users than having the openURL function simply download the file via a browser for them to manually place in the Plugins folder.

Also, is there a recommended method to take the contents of a POST and save it to disc as a file? I suspect once the file is created, expanding and moving it to the Plugins folder is pretty intuitive using the files functions.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2017, 11:56 AM
RE: hdicoreFiles ungzip
I think you're possibly misreading the function name, it's "ungzip()"

A gzip file is not the same as a zip file, but is easy to create on either platform with the right app. There are lots of compression methods out there, so perhaps gzip won't be the right one for your specific use case (though it'd probably be fine); we included it because we needed some compression internally and because licensing issues made it the simplest choice.
03-28-2017, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2017 06:19 AM by Rick Johnson.)
RE: hdicoreFiles ungzip
Thanks, Garrett. Sorry about the missing G (thank you auto-correct).

But the G in gzip was my cause for concern, seeking a simple cross-platform uncompression solution. Although one can gzip files from a terminal window (and script it to make quick work of a tedious task), it sees an .aip file as a directory and won't compress it without the common practice of tar-ing it first, which then negates the CORE function. I'd like to stay within the CORE library as much as possible, so this should be an interesting project.