About   |   Getting Started   |   Downloads   |   Documentation   |   Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
modal dialog preview
01-17-2018, 11:43 AM
modal dialog preview
How could one add a preview option to a modal dialog to show the result of its settings before the user commits with the OK button? Perhaps a future CORE release could demonstrate that in the Tool sample project.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Yesterday, 05:12 PM
RE: modal dialog preview
(01-17-2018 11:43 AM)Rick Johnson Wrote:  How could one add a preview option to a modal dialog to show the result of its settings before the user commits with the OK button? Perhaps a future CORE release could demonstrate that in the Tool sample project.

This isn't possible in Illustrator. A modal dialog, by definition, blocks the main thread of the app, and it is within this thread that all communication with Illustrator must occur. If it works for your use case, a floating dialog can be used instead, since it does not block the main thread (we do this in a plugin or two ourselves).
Yesterday, 07:25 PM
RE: modal dialog preview
Hmmm, that confirms my understanding of a modal dialog, but I'm stumped by the preview option in Illustrator's Transform Each, Path > Simplify, and other windows. I wonder how they did that, and if a similar behavior could be accomplished entirely, or at least mostly, within CORE.