Hot Door CORE Forum
Xcode version file structure - Printable Version

+- Hot Door CORE Forum (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum)
+-- Forum: All forums (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Getting started (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Xcode version file structure (/showthread.php?tid=3)

Pages: 1 2

Xcode version file structure - Rick Johnson - 01-04-2014

I'd like to put Xcode 3.2.6 in a "Developer326" folder as Brendon has. Can I just rename my "Developer" folder to "Developer326" and then install Xcode 4.6.2?

I should mention that my MacBook Pro is running Mavericks with Win XP in Boot Camp, and my new iMac running Mountain Lion with Visual Studio 2013 installed in Parallels. Both Macs have Xcode 5 installed, which I trust should be trashed until tested with CORE.

RE: Xcode version file structure - brendon - 01-10-2014

(01-04-2014, 09:41 PM)Rick Johnson Wrote: I'd like to put Xcode 3.2.6 in a "Developer326" folder as Brendon has. Can I just rename my "Developer" folder to "Developer326" and then install Xcode 4.6.2?

I should mention that my MacBook Pro is running Mavericks with Win XP in Boot Camp, and my new iMac running Mountain Lion with Visual Studio 2013 installed in Parallels. Both Macs have Xcode 5 installed, which I trust should be trashed until tested with CORE.

Yes, install XCode 3.2.6 (if Mavericks lets you, that is), then change the name. Then, you can install Xcode 4.6.2.

We'll be testing Xcode 5 soon and we'll let you know how it goes.

RE: Xcode version file structure - Rick Johnson - 01-30-2014

Thanks, Brendon, everything's installing great so far. It appears my 2008 MacBook Pro's XP Boot Camp partition is no longer necessary, so I think I'll reformat it with an older MacOS to boot from for developing older Mac plugins. I suspect most of my development will be done on my current generation iMac with Parallels.

Are there recommendations on how to (or how not to) configure systems for CORE plugin development? For example, is it wise to use a common code base for both Mac and Windows plugins? I'd hoped to install Windows 7 in a Boot Camp partition on my iMac, but it wouldn't install (perhaps due to the Fusion drive), so I hope a plain Parallels install will work. Where is a recommended location for the CORE library, in the parent folder of the Adobe SDKs? Are no downloads necessary from Boost C++ or other sources?

I put development on hold when everything broke in CS6; now I'm eager to rewrite my vanilla C code as real C++ and dive in!

TIA, Rick

RE: Xcode version file structure - brendon - 01-31-2014

Rick Johnson Wrote: It appears my 2008 MacBook Pro's XP Boot Camp partition is no longer necessary, so I think I'll reformat it with an older MacOS to boot from for developing older Mac plugins. I suspect most of my development will be done on my current generation iMac with Parallels.

You can develop plug-ins all the way back to CS3 using your new Mac with CORE, so no need to keep the old Mac around.

Rick Johnson Wrote: Are there recommendations on how to (or how not to) configure systems for CORE plugin development? For example, is it wise to use a common code base for both Mac and Windows plugins?

Yes, just look at the way the sample plug-ins are structured. All the code is shared between Mac and Win. We keep our projects in a git repository which allows us to keep the code easily synched between Mac and Win. We've also used svn in the past which worked quite well.

Rick Johnson Wrote: I'd hoped to install Windows 7 in a Boot Camp partition on my iMac, but it wouldn't install (perhaps due to the Fusion drive), so I hope a plain Parallels install will work.

Just a few weeks ago, I built a boot camp partition on a Fusion drive and now run it in Parallels, so I know it's possible. But, a plain Parallels install works as well. On my main development machine, i use just a plain Parallels install, but I know that Garrett often runs Windows under bootcamp. It really just depends on how fast you want things to be.

Rick Johnson Wrote: Where is a recommended location for the CORE library, in the parent folder of the Adobe SDKs? Are no downloads necessary from Boost C++ or other sources?

You can put CORE wherever you like. Neither the Adobe SDK nor Boost are required at all.

Brendon

RE: Xcode version file structure - garrett - 02-09-2014

Hi Rick,

I just wanted to let you know that we have updated instructions (and an Xcode legacy support script!) to make development for older versions of Illustrator even easier. Please see the updated Getting Started page if you haven't already set up Xcode 4 or would like to use Xcode 5.

RE: Xcode version file structure - Rick Johnson - 03-13-2014

Thanks, Garrett! Either I'm doing something wrong or the script doesn't work with Mavericks. I have all required versions of Xcode installed plus the DMGs mounted, but the script says that the 3.2.6 components are not available. I tried reinstalling Xcode 3.2.6 and Mavericks went into a loop of failed startups. I'm now reinstalling Mavericks and *hope* to have a usable MacBook Pro again.

RE: Xcode version file structure - garrett - 03-13-2014

(03-13-2014, 12:10 PM)Rick Johnson Wrote: Thanks, Garrett! Either I'm doing something wrong or the script doesn't work with Mavericks. I have all required versions of Xcode installed plus the DMGs mounted, but the script says that the 3.2.6 components are not available. I tried reinstalling Xcode 3.2.6 and Mavericks went into a loop of failed startups. I'm now reinstalling Mavericks and *hope* to have a usable MacBook Pro again.

Sorry for the troubles with the script.

You no longer need to have old versions of Xcode installed (and having them installed might just cause problems, actually). You don't need to manually mount the disk images, either.

Once you have your machine all back to normal, put the XcodeLegacy.sh script in the same folder as the xcode_3.2.6_and_ios_sdk_4.3.dmg and xcode4630916281a.dmg files (Xcode 3.2.6 and Xcode 4.6.3, respectively). Then, in the Terminal, cd to the folder containing these files, and run the script with the "buildpackages" argument, then again with the "install" argument, and a third time with the "cleanpackages" argument.

For some reason, the author of the script didn't have the "cleanpackages" argument clean up absolutely all of the files that it creates with the "buildpackages" argument, so you'll need to delete a couple things manually.

I have run this on Mavericks, and it works great. I saw that Xcode 5.1 just came out and I haven't personally updated, but I suspect that the script will still work.

Thanks, Garrett, I reinstalled Mavericks on the MacBook Pro and it's running normally again. I really appreciate your guidance and look forward to the thrill of getting one of the samples to actually compile and work in CS6, giving me the optimism to press forward with other projects after such a long hiatus without ADM! Thank you! -- Rick

I don't know if there's a problem with the XcodeLegacy.sh script (it seemed to run normally except for not installing some components that already existed) or if I need to adjust something with the project. I renamed the Developer folder to Developer326 to coincide with the project's specified absolute path for SDKs. All I want to do is compile (with Xcode 5.0.2) the CORE tool sample for CS6 release. When I try to build the plugin I keep getting the error:

Error: There is no SDK with the name or path '/Users/rick/Desktop/hdi_core/Samples/Tool/Projects/macosx10.4'

Shouldn't it be looking for SDKs in the SDK folder?

At the top of the Project Navigator list it says "10 targets, missing base SDK." The frameworks listed there all appear to be OK except for 10.7, which are highlighted in red. I'd expect they would be the default for Xcode 5. I sense that I'm overlooking something obvious. Undecided

RE: Xcode version file structure - Rick Johnson - 03-22-2014

Now it works! Here's the story:

I had an Xcode 3.2.6 .dmg file that at first mounted normally, but got corrupted at some point, so I downloaded a new one and put both the 3.2.6 and 4.6.3 disk images and the XcodeLegacy.sh script in the same folder.

At first, I was running the script with the command
"sh XcodeLegacy.sh buildpackages"
which may or may not have been part of the problem.

I changed the script's permissions to enable execution with
"chmod +x XcodeLegacy.sh"
and then ran it with
"./XcodeLegacy.sh buildpackages"
"./XcodeLegacy.sh install"
"./XcodeLegacy.sh cleanpackages"

It installed in Xcode 5.1 just fine! Many thanks to Brendon and Garrett for their guidance on this.

-- Rick