Hot Door CORE Forum
Can't compile sample projects for CORE 0.8.1 Mac, Xcode 12.4 - Printable Version

+- Hot Door CORE Forum (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum)
+-- Forum: All forums (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Getting started (http://hotdoorcore.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Can't compile sample projects for CORE 0.8.1 Mac, Xcode 12.4 (/showthread.php?tid=333)

Can't compile sample projects for CORE 0.8.1 Mac, Xcode 12.4 - Rick Johnson - 12-30-2022

I cannot compile the sample projects for AI26 or AI27 in CORE 0.8.1 with Xcode 12.4, Mac 11.7.1 Big Sur. I get errors from the project:

Could not initialize core

unknown spec "Class': 'PBXCompilerSpecficationGcc3_3' GCC 4.0.xspec

unknown spec 'Class':'PBXCompilerSpecficationGcc3_3' GCC 4.2.xcspec

I installed the newest XcodeLegacy.sh but that didn't help.

What's really weird is that I updated my CORE 0.8.0 AI26 projects for AI27 and CORE 0.8.1 using the new xconfig files, and they compile and run fine in AI27. Well, with the exception of crash-on-quit issues related to flyout menus, which is why I want to build a test file using the Panel or Skeleton sample.

The project for x86 AI23-25 works fine.

What can I do to correct this?

RE: Can't compile sample projects for CORE 0.8.1 Mac, Xcode 12.4 - garrett - 01-06-2023

This almost sounds like an Xcode issue. Try installing a fresh Xcode (12/13/14) without adding any legacy stuff to it and see if it will compile the AI 26/27 projects.

RE: Can't compile sample projects for CORE 0.8.1 Mac, Xcode 12.4 - Rick Johnson - 01-08-2023

I downloaded and installed Xcode 12.5.1, and got the error "unable to find sdk 'macosx11.1' " with both the AI26 and AI27 release builds of the Panel sample.

I ran XcodeLegacy script and still got that error, plus "Could not initialize core. unknown spec 'class': 'PBXCompilerSpecificationGcc3_3' "

I downloaded CORE 0.8.1 again and replaced the sample project, but got the same errors.

Now a really weird part: I copied over the ARM 26.0 project file from CORE 0.8.0, and it compiled fine in CORE 0.8.1!

I'm curious, too, why AI 26 and 27 are in different Xcode projects, rather than different targets within one project. I created an AI 27 target within the AI 26 project copied over from CORE 0.8.0 and it compiled and ran. Will that introduce incompatibilities somewhere?

RE: Can't compile sample projects for CORE 0.8.1 Mac, Xcode 12.4 - garrett - 01-09-2023

We are now using Xcode 13.4 ourselves, and the sample compiles fine for us, so hard to say why Xcode 12.5 is not working for you. However, Xcode 12.4 was the last to include the macOS 11.1 SDK, so you could try a fresh install of Xcode 12.4 (no XcodeLegacy) to see what happens.

Using the XcodeLegacy script is no longer strictly necessary and (I find it) more "overpowered" than what we currently need. Refer to http://hotdoorcore.com/gettingstarted.php for instructions on adding legacy SDKs manually/directly to Xcode; it's rather straightforward.

We have separate project files now because it allows us to better automate updating our libraries/plugins to support a new version of Illustrator. This will allow us to release such support faster and (potentially) include a script with hdi_core to help others automate adding support for a new version of Illustrator to their plugin projects.

RE: Can't compile sample projects for CORE 0.8.1 Mac, Xcode 12.4 - Rick Johnson - 01-18-2023

I ran into some hardware problems and ended up rebuilding my Mac. Now running Ventura macOS 13.1. My only option for Xcode is version 14.2 (won't run older versions). I manually added the older SDKs and modified Info.plist. Projects for AI 27, 26, and 25 compile fine. The AI 23 and 24 projects, which use SDK 10.13, give compiler errors:

'No thread API' on line 1123 of __config

'file not found' on line 35 of IAIUnicodeString.h  #import <CoreFoundation/CFString.h>

I realize that the second error comes from an SDK header, but I hope I just need to add another search directory to find it. Surely Hot Door would need it to compile CORE under this OS.

Is anybody else out there using CORE with macOS 13 Ventura?

RE: Can't compile sample projects for CORE 0.8.1 Mac, Xcode 12.4 - garrett - 01-20-2023

We have not tried moving our dev environments to macOS 13 yet, so for now you're on your own in that territory. My biggest concern is that Apple might have finally removed "legacy project" support from Xcode 14, which is required to compile for AI 23-25.

RE: Can't compile sample projects for CORE 0.8.1 Mac, Xcode 12.4 - Rick Johnson - 01-20-2023

I can confirm that Xcode 13.x won't run in Ventura, so people with newer Macs may not be able to compile for AI 23 or 24 for Mac using CORE. Based on what I know now, I'd advise CORE developers to not upgrade beyond macOS 12 Monterey unless there's a compelling reason to do so!

Update: Fortunately, I have an older iMac running macOS 10.14 Mojave and Xcode 10.3. With it, I mount the newer Mac's HD, open the X86 projects, and compile for AI 23, 24, and 25. The compiled plugins go to the second machine's Plug-ins folders, but it all works from the same code base on the same hard drive, including the CORE libraries and SDKs.